Every year, the biggest gem in the Sutton Writers membership crown is the opportunity to take out our President’s Prize. It’s our flagship competition, and has been running for longer than most of us have been members of the group.
The competition is judged by the previous year’s winner – this time, it’s the fabulous Rosie O’Carroll, who won the 2020 prize with her piece Footing the Bill. Rosie took home the cash prize and the very special President’s Shield, which now bears her name alongside previous winners.
We’re excited to say the prize is now open for 2021! There is no set genre, though the piece should be prose. First prize takes a cash prize of £50 as well as the shield (we’ll have to figure out a Covid-safe way of doing that bit this year!); depending on the number of entries, there is also a prize of £20 for the runner-up. Every entry will receive feedback from the judge. If the winner permits, we’ll publish the winning entry on our website, though we make no claim to rights.
You’ll find our general competition rules here, but to give you the overview…
Guidelines for the competition
- The competition deadline is midnight on Sunday 31st January. The winner will be announced at the Tuesday meeting in March 2021.
- Maximum word count of 1500.
- Submit as a Word document or PDF, and use 12 point Times New Roman, at least 1.5 spaced.
- Unfortunately due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, we are unable to accept physical entries this year. All entries must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline.
- Emails should contain details of your name and the title of your story. Your attachment must not contain your name.
- You may send three entries to the competition. Please use the same nom de plume for all entries in the same year.
- The competition is only open to members. If you’d like to become a member, read more about what that means here.