We have recently had situations where it has become clear we need to formalise the Age Criteria for people attending Sutton Writers events.
Although we want to be as accommodating as possible to encourage young people to join Sutton Writers, and to help members with children, we cannot accept situations where Sutton Writers or individual members are being put in a “position of care”.
The full text of Amendment 1 to the Constitution was approved, unanimously by members present, at the committee meeting held on 22nd October, and can be seen in the Governance section of the website.
The main points are as follows:
- Membership is open to anyone over 16.
- Anyone between the ages of 16 and 18 attending a Sutton Writers meeting or event must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- If not a member the normal visitor’s fee must be paid. The accompanying adult attends free, but may not participate.
- There is no minimum age limit for admission to a meeting or event, with permission.
- A committee member may refuse anyone entry to a meeting or event, or request a person to leave.